This weekend J & I celebrated my 31st birthday. I’m not sure where time has gone! Not long ago I was this little crying baby. I asked for a low key birthday with people that care about me, and I got just that! It was a great weekend! Thursday, I pampered myself with a pedicure & manicure. Friday, I went to happy hour with some of my very best friends. Saturday, I spent time with my family, sending off my oldest brother across the country for National Guard training, and Sunday, we spent the day with our church family. After having two days off from work & then a lovely weekend, I really did not want to get back into the groove of things. I made myself a promise, though, that I would kick Monday in the face, and I have done just that!
You can imagine that being employed fulltime and teaching a college freshman course every year, being a wife, being a doctoral student, serving on a state association, trying to start a family, trying to maintain a healthy gym life, and trying to maintain a balance between all of that, things can get pretty hectic around our household! Kudos go out to all the mothers and fathers who throw childcare into all of that. You are the real heroes of the world. Well, today after a 6am gym session, a FULL day at work, and cleaning my kitchen, I needed a quick, easy meal to prepare for dinner and lunch for myself and my husband. Beth over at Budget Bytes had me covered. This Glazed Pork Chops recipe was life! Besides the spices, there were really only 2 ingredients – pork chops & brown sugar! I chose to serve this with what I already had – squash/onions and some quinoa. It probably wasn’t as picturesque as I would have liked, but it was delicious and nothing took over 15-20 minutes to cook. Clean up was simple, too! Y’all know I just love anything easy, healthy, and especially cheap! Beth has calculated that this meal costs less than $10 a person! It’s great for those of us balling on a budget! Keep scrolling for this super easy recipe & a picture of the final product!
Glazed Pork Chops
- 4 boneless pork chops (thick, preferably)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the pork chops from their package and rub the seasoning mixture over all sides of each chop. The moisture from the meat will help the seasoning to adhere to the surface.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over a medium flame. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the pork chops. Cook the chops for about 5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- If your chops are greater than one-inch thick, transfer the skillet to the preheated 350ºF oven for another 5-10 minutes to finish cooking. Test the chops with a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature has reached 145ºF. Cook longer if needed. Dredge the chops through the thick sauce in the bottom of the pan just before serving.
Step By Step Photos